The 2013 Fall Singer-Songwriter Competition hosted by The Blue Light will be starting this upcoming Monday, Oct. 21, 2013. Each Monday (Oct. 21, Oct. 28, Nov. 11) will be a chance of songwriters to advance to the Finale on Monday, Nov. 11.
Each of the First Round preliminaries (The first three Mondays), three singer-songwriters will advance to the Final Round on Nov. 11 where one final winner will chosen. The overall winner will receive studio time at Mount Vernon Studios (Lubbock), merchandise, and a music video from Johnny Velvet Tees.
In recent memory, Singer-Songwriter competition winners have been Danny Cadra (Fall, 2012), Zac Wilkerson (Fall, 2011), Kenneth O’Meara (Fall 2009), Casey Berry (Fall 2010), and Daniel Markham (Spring 2011).
The basic rules for the competition go as followed.
1. Each songwriter will be allowed two songs (Songs shouldn’t be longer than five minutes in length).
2. Each song must be an original. No covers.
3. Songwriters must provide copies of their lyrics for the judges prior to performance. If you do not bring advance copies, paper will be available.
4. Each songwriter must make their own arrangements with regards to instruments. (Bring a guitar, etc).
5. To sign up, you must sign the official sign-up page with Benton Leachman and/or Blue Light staff.
6. Each night, there will be 15 spots.
7. If you do not advance to the finals on your first attempt, you will be granted one more chance.
8. Once you advance to the finals, you will not need to perform until the Finale.
Additional rules will be provided each night.